CSI faculty have published thousands of technical papers in leading academic journals and conference proceedings as well as numerous textbooks and research monographs. Many of these publications can be found online using search services (link to student resources). This page provides four representative publications for each faculty member.
- "The quantum to classical transition for random walks," Todd A. Brun, Hilary A. Carteret and Andris Ambainis, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 130602 (2003). quant-ph/0208195.
- "Realistic simulations of single-spin nondemolition measurement by magnetic resonance force microscopy," Todd A. Brun and Hsi-Sheng Goan, Phys. Rev. A 68, 032301 (2003). quant-ph/0302178.
- "A simple model of quantum trajectories," Todd A. Brun, Am. J. Phys. 70, 719-737 (2002). quant-ph/0108132.
- "How much state assignments can differ," Todd A. Brun, J. Finkelstein and N. David Mermin, Phys. Rev. A 65, 032315 (2002). quant-ph/0109041.
Keith M. Chugg
- A. Anastasopoulos and K. M. Chugg, "Adaptive Soft-Input Soft-Output Algorithms for Iterative Detection with Parametric Uncertainty", IEEE Trans. Communications, Oct. 2000.
- P.A Beerel and K.M. Chugg, "A Low Latency SISO with Applications to Broadband Turbo Decoding," IEEE J. Selected Areas in Communications (special issues on turbo processing), vol. 19, May 2001, pp. 860--870.
- K. M. Chugg, "Blind Acquisition Characteristics of PSP-based Sequence Detectors," IEEE J. Selected Areas Commun., vol. 16, Oct. 1998, pp. 1518-1529.
- M. Zhu and K. M. Chugg, "Iterative Message Passing Techniques for Rapid Code Acquisition," in Proc. IEEE Milcom 2003, Boston, MA., Oct. 2003. (received the Fred Ellersick Award as the outstanding unclassified paper at Milcom 2003.)
Robert M. Gagliardi
- R.M. Gagliardi and S. Karp, Optical Communications, John Wiley & Son, New York, 1976; translated to Russian, 1978; translated to Japanese, 1979. (Second Edition, 1995.)
- M. Dale and R.M. Gagliardi, "Channel Coding for Asynchronous Fiberoptic Communications", IEEE Transactions on Comunications, Vol. 43, No. 9, September 1995, pp. 2485-2492.
- R.M. Gagliardi and G. Clayton, "Frequency and Slot Switching in FDMA/TDMA Multiple Beam Satellite Processor", Proceedings of the Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), October 7-10, 2002, Anaheim, CA, Session U101.
- A. Mendez and R.M. Gagliardi, "Combined Effectiveness of Optical Hard Limiters and Guard Time in OCDMA Systems" 15th Annual Meeting of LEOS, Glasgow, Scotland, paper # Thy 3, November 14, 2002.
Solomon W. Golomb
- S.W. Golomb, "Algebraic Constructions for Costas Arrays", Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, July 1984.
- S.W. Golomb, "Periods of de Bruijn Sequences," Advances in Applied Mathematics, 1992.
- S.W. Golomb, "Two-valued Sequences with Perfect Periodic Autocorrelation," "IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, April, 1992.
- S.W. Golomb, "Tiling Rectangles with Polyominoes," Mathematical Intelligencer, vol. 18, no. 2, Spring, 1996, pp. 38-47.
P. Vijay Kumar
- P.V. Kumar, T. Helleseth, A.R. Calderbank, and A. R. Hammons, Jr., "Large Families of Quaternary Sequences with Low Correlation", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 42, March 1996.
- P.V. Kumar, T. Helleseth and A.R. Calderbank, "An Upper Bound for Weil Exponential Sums over Galois Rings and Applications", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. IT-41, pp. 456-468, March 1995.
- O. Moreno, Z. Zhang, P.V. Kumar and V. Zinoviev, "Asymptotically Optimum Families of Optical Orthogonal Codes", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 41, pp. 448-455, March 1995.
- A.R. Hammons, Jr., P.V. Kumar, A.R. Calderbank, N.J.A. Sloane and P. Sole, "The Z4-Linearity of Kerdock, Preparata, Goethals and Related Codes", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. IT-40, pp. 301-319, March 1994
Daniel C. Lee
- D. C. Lee, "Worst-case fraction of CBR tele-traffic unpunctual due to statistical multiplexing", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 4, no.1, pp.98-105, Feb. 1996.
- M. Kang, I. Moskowitz, and D. C. Lee, "A network Pump", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 329-338, May 1996.
- A Battou, B. Khan, D. Lee, S. Marsh, S. Mountcastle, D. Talmage, "CASiNO: Component Architecture for Simulating Network Objects", Software Practice and Experience, vol. 32, pp. 1099-1128, 2002.
- L. Tsaur and D. C. Lee, "Closed-loop architecture and protocols for rapid dynamic spreading gain adaptation in CDMA networks", in Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM�2004, Hong Kong, March 2004.
William C. Lindsey
- W.C. Lindsey, "Synchronization Systems in Communication and Control," Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1972.
- W. C. Lindsey, "Phase-Shift Keyed Signal Detection with Noisy Reference Signals," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. AES-2, No. 4, July, 1966, pp. 393-402.
- W. C. Lindsey, "Time and Frequency Transfer by the Master-Slave Returnable Timing System Techniques," IEEE Transactions on Information and Measurement, August, 1980.
- W. C. Lindsey, "On the Phase Error Variance of a First-Order Phase-Locked Loop in the Presence of Cochannel CW Interference and Additive Noise," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 42, no. 10, October 1994, pp. 2785.
- M. Akar and U. Mitra, "Soft handoff algorithms for CDMA cellular networks," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, to appear.
- E. Aktas and U. Mitra, "Blind Equalization for an Application of Unitary Space-Time Modulation in ISI Channels, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing," special issue on Transmit Diversity Systems, to appear, November 2003.
- A. Sabharwal,U. Mitra and R. Moses, "MMSE Receivers for Multirate DS-CDMA Systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 49, no. 12, December 2001 pp. 2184--2197.
- W. Chen and U. Mitra, "An Improved Blind Adaptive MMSE Receiver for Fast Fading DS-CDMA Channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas of Communication, Issue on Multiuser Detection Techniques with Application to Wired and Wireless Communication Systems I, vol. 19, no. 8, August 2001, pp. 1531--1543.
- M.J. Neely, E. Modiano, and C.E. Rohrs, "Dynamic Power Allocation and Routing for Time Varying Wireless Networks," IEEE INFOCOM Proceedings, April 2003.
- M.J. Neely, E. Modiano, and C. E. Rohrs, "Power Allocation and Routing in Multi-Beam Satellites with Time Varying Channels,"IEEE Transactions on Networking, Feb. 2003.
- M.J. Neely, C.E. Rohrs, "Inequality Comparisons and Traffic Smoothing in Multi-Stage ATM Multiplexers" IEEE Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications, 2000.
- M. J. Neely and E. Modiano, "Improving Delay in Ad-Hoc Mobile Networks Via Redundant Packet Transfers," Proceedings of the Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Johns Hopkins University March 2003.
- "Fourier Analysis and Signal Processing by Use of the Mobius Inversion Formula," with D. W. Tufts, X. Yu, T. K. Truong, M. T. Shih, and X. Yin, IEEE Transactions on ASSP, March 1990.
- "Algebraic Decoding of the (32,16,8) Quadratic Residue Code," with X. Yin, and T. K. Truong, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, June 1990.
- "Algebraic decoding of [79,40, 15] quadratic residue code using inverse-free Berlekamp-Massy algorithm", with T.K. Truong, Y. Chang, R. He, And Y.H. Chen, IEEE Proceedings of the Information Theory Workshop 2003, Page(s): 238-244, April, 2003.
- "Space-time joint truncated multistage Weiner filtering for asynchronous DS-CDMA in multipath" with C.-C. Hu, X. Yu, Internation Conference on Communications 2003, Volume 4, Page(s): 2340-2344, 2003.
- R. A. Scholtz, "The Origins of Spread Spectrum Communications," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 30, May 1982. (Recipient of the Leonard G. Abraham Prize Paper Award, and the Donald G. Fink Prize Award.) Reprinted in Spread Spectrum Communications, C.E. Cook, F.W. Ellersick, L.B. Milstein, and D.L. Schilling, eds., IEEE Press, 1983.
- J.-H. Oh and R. A. Scholtz, "Strategies for minimizing the intercept time in a mobile communication network with directive/adaptive antennas," Proc. Military Comm. Conf., Monterey CA, November 2-5, 1997. (received the Fred Ellersick Award as the outstanding unclassified paper at Milcom'97.)
- J. M. Cramer, R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "Evaluation of an Ultra-Wideband Propagation Channel," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 50, no. 5, May 2002, pp. 561-570. (Received the 2003 S. A. Schelkunoff Award from the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society.)
- Joon-Yong Lee and R. A. Scholtz, "Ranging in a Dense Multipath Environment using an UWB Radio Link,"� IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 20, no. 9, December 2002.
- C. L. Weber, "New Solutions to the Signal Design Problem for Coherent Channels," presented at the First International Symposium on Information Theory, University of California, Los Angeles, January 1966; published in the IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. IT-12, No. 2, April, 1966.
- A. Polydoros and C. L. Weber, "A Unified Approach to Serial Search Spread Spectrum Code Acquisition, Part I: The General Theory, Part II: A Matched Filter Receiver," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol COM-32, No. 5, May 1984.
- M. Ghosh and C. L. Weber, "Blind Equalization with Maximum-Likelihood Channel Estimators," in Proc. International Symposium on Communication Theory and Applications, Scotland, 9-13 September 1991.
- T. Vaidis and C. L. Weber, "Block Adaptive Techniques for Channel Identification and Data Demodulation Over Band-Limited Channels,�IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 46, No. 2, February, 1998.
- "Binary Sequences with Non-Positive Autocorrelation Values," with W. Ke, ACTA Electronics Sinica, September 1982.
- "Bent Function Sequences," with J. Olsen and R.A. Scholtz, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, November 1982.
- "GMW Sequences," with R.A. Scholtz, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, May 1984.
- "Generalized Bent Functions and their Properties," with P. V. Kumar and R. A. Scholtz, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, September 1985.
- W. Shieh and A.E. Willner, "Optimal Conditions for High-Speed All �Optical SOA-Based Wavelength Shifting, � IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 7, pp. 1273-1275, 1995.
- J.E. Leight and A.E. Willner, "Reduced Switching Delay in Wavelength-Division-Multiplexed 2-D Multiple-Plane Optical Interconnections Using Multiple-Wavelength VCSEL Arrays� IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 14, pp. 1467-1479, 1996.
- A. E. Willner, "Optical Communications," CRC Handbook of Photonics, M.C. Gupta, editor, CRC Press, Boston, Feb. 1997.
- M.C. Hauer, J.E. McGeehan, S. Kumar, J. Touch, J. Bannister, E.R. Lyons, C.H. Lin, A. A. Au, H.P. Lee, D.S. Starodubov, and A.E. Willner, "Optically-Assisted Internet Routing Using Arrays of Novel Dynamically Reconfigurable FBG-Based Correlators�, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, Special Issue on Optical Networks, vol. 21, 2003.
- Z. Zhang, "Linear Inequalities for Covering Codes: Part I - Pair Covering Inequalities", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 573-582, May 1991.
- Z. Zhang and V.K. Wei, "An On-Line Universal Lossy Data Compression Algorithim via Continuous Codebook Refinement", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 803-821, May 1996.
- Z. Zhang, E. Yang and V. K. Wei, "The Redundancy of Source Coding with a Fidelity Criterion", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 71-91, Jan. 1997.
- Z. Zhang and R. Yeung, "On Characterization of Entropy Function via Information Inequalities", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1440-1452, July, 1998.